LONGTON, a market-town of Staffordshire, England, on the North Staffordshire railway, 25 m. S.E. of Stoke-on-Trent, within which parliamentary and municipal borough it is included. Pop. (1901) 35,815. The town is in the Potteries district, and in the neighbourhood of coal and iron mines. It was governed by a mayor, 10 aldermen and 30 councillors until under the " Potteries Federation " scheme (1908) it became part of the borough of Stoke-on-Trent in 1910.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)