LOGANSPORT, a city and the county-seat of Cass county, Indiana, U.S.A., on the Wabash river, at the mouth of the Eel river, about 67 m. N. by W. of Indianapolis and 117 m. S. by E. of Chicago. Pop. (1900) 16,204, of whom 1432 were foreign'born, (1910 census) 19,050. It is served by six divisions of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, two divisions of the Vandalia (Pennsylvania Lines), and the Wabash railways, and by electric interurban lines. The city is the seat of the Northern Indiana Hospital for the Insane (1888), and has a public library, and a hospital (conducted by the Sisters of St Joseph). Among the principal buildings are the court house, a Masonic temple, an Odd Fellows' temple, and buildings of the Order of Elks, of the Knights of Pythias, and of the fraternal order of Eagles. Situated in the centre of a rich agricultural region, Logansport is one of the most important grain and produce markets in the state. The Wabash and the Eel rivers provide good water power, and the city has various manufactures, besides the railway repair shops of the Vandalia and of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis railways. The value of the city's factory product increased from $2,100,394 in ioo to $2,955,921 in 1905, or 40-7%. Limestone, for use in the manufacture of iron, is quarried in the vicinity. The city owns and operates the water works and the electric-lighting plant. Logansport was platted in 1828, was probably named in honour of a Shawnee chief, Captain Logan (d. 1812), became the countyseat of Cass county in 1829, and was chartered as a city in 1838.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)