LISMORE ISLAND, an island in the entrance to Loch Linnhe, Argyllshire, Scotland, 5 m. N.W. of Oban. Pop. (1901) 500. It lies S.W. and N.E., is g% m. long and if m. broad, and has an area of 9600 acres. It divides the lower end of the loch into two channels, the Lynn of Morvern on the W. and the Lynn of Lome on the E. The name is' derived from the Gaelic Has mor, " great garden." Several ruined castles stand on the coast, and the highest point of the island is 500 ft. above the sea. The inhabitants raise potatoes, oats, cattle and horses, and these, with dairy produce, form the bulk of the trade. Steamers call at Auchnacrosan. A Columban monastery was founded in Lismore by St Moluag about 592. About 1200 the see of Argyll was separated from Dunkeld by Bishop John, " the Englishman," and Lismore soon afterwards became the seat of the bishop of Argyll, sometimes called " Episcopus Lismoriensis," quite distinct from the bishop of the Isles (Sudreys and Isle of Man), called " Episcopus Sodoriensis " or " Insularum," whose see was divided in the 14th century into the English bishopric of Sodor and Man and the Scottish bishopric of the Isles. The Rev. John Macaulay (d. 1789), grandfather of Lord Macaulay, the historian, and the Rev. Donald M'Nicol (1735-1802), who took up the defence of the Highlands against Dr Johnson, were ministers of Lismore.
For the Book of the Dean of Lismore see CELT: Scottish Gaelic Literature.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)