LEVIS (formerly Pointe Levi), the chief town of Levis county, Quebec, Canada, situated on the precipitous south bank of the St Lawrence, opposite Quebec city. Pop. (1901) 7783. It is on the Intercolonial railway, and is the eastern terminus of the Grand Trunk and Quebec Central railways. It contains the Lome dock, a Dominion government graving dock, 445 ft. long, too ft. wide, with a depth on the sill of 26^ and 2of ft. at high water, spring and neap tides respectively. It is an important centre of the river trade, and is connected by steam ferries with the city of Quebec. It is named after the marechal due de Levis, the last commander of the French troops in Canada.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)