LEIXOES, a seaport and harbour of refuge of northern Portugal; in 41 9' 10" N., 8 40' 35" W., 3 m. N. of the mouth of the Douro. Leixoes is included in the parish of Matozinhos (pop. 1900, 7690) and constitutes the main port of the city of Oporto (q.v.), with which it is connected by an electric tramway. The harbour, of artificial construction, has an area of over 220 acres, and admits vessels of any size, the depth at the entrance being nearly 50 ft. The transference of cargo to and from ships lying in the Leixoes basin is effected entirely by means of lighters from Oporto. In addition to wine, etc., from Oporto, large numbers of emigrants to South America are taken on board here. The trade of the port is mainly in British hands, and large numbers of British ships call at Leixoes on the voyage between Lisbon and Liverpool, London or Southampton.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)