LEER, a town and river port in the Prussian province of Hanover, lying in a fertile plain on the right bank of the Leda near its confluence with the Ems, and at the junction of railways to Bremen, Emden and Munster. Pop. (1905) 12,347. The streets are broad, well paved, and adorned with many elegant buildings, among which are Roman Catholic, Lutheran and Calvinist churches, and a new town hall with a tower 165 ft. high. Among its educational establishments are a classical school and a school of navigation. Linen and woollen fabrics, hosiery, paper, cigars, soap, vinegar and earthenware are manufactured, and there are iron-foundries, distilleries, tanneries and shipbuilding yards. Many markets for horses and cattle are held. The transit trade from the regions traversed by the Westphalian and Oldenburg railways is considerable. The irincipal exports are cattle, horses, cheese, butter, honey, wax, lour, paper, hardware and Westphalian coal. Leer is one of he principal ports for steamboat communication with the STorth Sea watering-places of Borkum and Norderney. Leer s a very old place, although it only obtained municipal privileges n 1823. Near the town is the Plitenberg, formerly a heathen >lace of sacrifice.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)