LE CREUSOT, a town of east-central France in the department of Sa6ne-et-Loire, 55 m. S.W. of Dijon on the Paris-Lyon railway. Pop. (1006), town, 22,535; commune, 33,437. Situated at the foot of lofty hills in a district rich in coal and iron, it has the most extensive iron works in France. The coal bed of Le Creusot was discovered in the 13th century; but it was not till 1774 that the first workshops were founded there. The royal crystal works were transferred from Sevres to Le Creusot in 1787, but this industry came to an end in 1831. Meanwhile two or three enterprises for the manufacture of metal had ended in failure, and it was only in 1836 that the foundation of iron works by Adolphe and Eugene Schneider definitely inaugurated the industrial prosperity of the place. The works supplied large quantities of war material to the French armies during the Crimean and Franco-German wars. Since that time they have continuously enlarged the scope of their operations, which now embrace the manufacture of steel, armour-plate, guns, ordnancestores, locomotives, electrical machinery and engineering material of every description. A net- work of railways about 37 m. in length connects the various branches of the works with each other and with the neighbouring Canal du Centre. Special attention is paid to the welfare of the workers who, not including the miners, number about 12,000, and good schools have been established. In 1897 the ordnance-manufacture of the Societe des Forges et Chantiers de la Mediterranee at Havre was acquired by the Company, which also has important branches at Chalonsur-Sa6ne, where ship-building and bridge-construction is carried on, and at Cette (Herault).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)