LANNION, a town of north-western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of C6tes-du-Nord, on the right bank of the Leguer, 45 m. W.N.W. of St Brieuc by rail. Pop. (1906) 5336. Lannion is 5 m. in direct line from the mouth of the Leguer; its port does a small trade (exports of agricultural produce, imports of wine, salt, timber, etc.), and there is an active fishing industry. The town contains many houses of the 15th and 16th centuries and other old buildings, the chief of which is the church of St Jean-du-Baly (16th and 17th centuries). On an eminence close to Lannion is the church of Brelevenez of the 12th century, restored in the isth or 16th century; it has an interesting 16th-century Holy Sepulchre.
Some 6 m. S.E. of the town are the imposing ruins of the chateau of Tonquedec (c. 1400) styled the " Pierrefonds of Brittany," and there are other buildings of antiquarian interest in the vicinity. The coast north of Lannion at Tregastel and Ploumanac presents curious rock formations.
Lannion is the seat of a subprefect and has a tribunal of first instance and a communal college. Its industries include saw-milling, tanning and the manufacture of farm implements. The town was taken in 1346 by the English; it was defended against them by Geoffroy de Pontblanc whose valour is commemorated by a cross close to the spot where he was slain.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)