LAMA-MIAO, or DOLON-NOR, a city of the province of Chih-li, China, 150 m. N. of Peking, in a barren sandy plain watered by the Urtingol, a tributary of the Shang-tu-ko. The town proper, almost exclusively occupied by Chinese, is about a mile in length 'This statement, representing the substantial and historical position, is retained, in spite of the crises of March 1910, when the Dalai L&ma took refuge from the Chinese in India, and of 1904, when the British expedition occupied Lhasa and the Dalai Lama fled to China (see TIBET).
by half a mile in breadth, has narrow and dirty streets, and contains a population of about 26,000. Unlike the ordinary Chinese town of the same rank, it is not walled. A busy trade is carried on between the Chinese and the Mongolians, who bring in their cattle, sheep, camels, hides and wool to barter for tea, tobacco, cotton and silk. At some distance from the Chinese town lies the Mongolian quarter, with two groups of lama temples and villages occupied by about 2300 priests. Dr Williamson (Journeys in North China, 1870) described the chief temple as a huge oblong building with an interior not unlike a Gothic church. Lamamiao is the seat of a manufactory of bronze idols and other articles of ritual, which find their way to all parts of Mongolia and Tibet. The craftsmen work in their own houses.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)