Khiva, City Of
KHIVA, CITY OF, capital of the khanate of Khiva, in Western Asia, 25 m. W. of the Amu-darya and 240 m. W.N.W. of Bokhara. Pop. about 10,000. It is surrounded by a low earthen wall, and has a citadel, the residence of the khan and the higher officials. There are a score of mosques, of which the one containing the tomb of Polvan, the patron saint of Khiva, is the best, and four large madrasas (Mahommedan colleges). Large gardens exist in the western part of the town. A small Russian quarter has ' grown up. The inhabitants make carpets, silks and cottons.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)