KHABAROVSK (known as KHABAROVKA until 1895), a town of Asiatic Russia, capital of the Amur region and of the Maritime Province. Pop. (1897), 14,932. It was founded in 1858 and is situated on a high cliff on the right bank of the Amur, at its confluence with the Usuri, in 48 28' N. and 135 6' E. It is connected by rail with Vladivostok (480 m.), and is an important entrepot for goods coming down the Usuri and its tributary the Sungacha, as well as a centre of trade, especially in sables. The town is built of wood, and has a large cathedral, a monument (1891) to Count Muraviev-Amurskiy, a cadet corps (new building 1904), a branch of the Russian Geographical Society, with museum, and a technical railway school.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)