Kermanshah, City Of
KERMANSHAH, CITY OF (Kermisin of Arab geographers), the capital of the province, is situated at an elevation of 5100 ft., in 34 19' N., and 46 59' E., about 220 m. from Bagdad, and 250 m. from Teheran. Although surrounded by fortifications with five gates and three miles in circuit, it is now practically an open town, for the walls are in ruins and the moat is choked with rubbish. It has a population of about 40,000. The town is situated on the high road between Teheran and Bagdad, and carries on a transit trade estimated in value at 750,000 per annum.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)