Jamestown, North Dakota
JAMESTOWN, NORTH DAKOTA, a city and the county-seat of Stutsman county, North Dakota, U.S.A., on the James River, about 93 m. W. of Fargo. Pop. (1900), 2853, of whom 587 were oreign-bom; (1905) 5093; (1910) 4358. Jamestown is served by the Northern Pacific railway, of which it is a division headquarters. At Jamestown is St John's Academy, a school for _jirls, conducted by the Sisters of St Joseph. The state lospital for the insane is just beyond the city limits. The city s the commercial centre of a prosperous farming and stockraising region in the James River valley, and has grain-elevators and flour-mills. Jamestown was first settled in 1873, near Fort Seward, a U.S. military post established in 1872 and abandoned n 1877, and was chartered as a city in 1883.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)