IVANOVO-VOZNESENSK, a town of middle Russia, in the government of Vladimir, 86 m. by rail N. of the town of Vladimir. Pop. (1887) 22,000; (1900) 64,628. It consists of what were originally two villages Ivanovo, dating from the 16th century, and Voznesensk, of much more recent date united into a town in 1 86 1. Of best note among the public buildings are the cathedral, and the church of the Intercession of the Virgin, formerly associated with an important monastery founded in 1579 and abandoned in 1754. One of the colleges of the town contains a public library. Linen-weaving was introduced in 1751, and in 1776 the manufacture of chintzes was brought from Schlusselburg. The town has cotton factories, calico print-works, iron-works and chemical works.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)