ISTAHBANAT, a town and district of Persia in the province of Pars. The district, which is very fertile, extends for nearly 50 m. east and west along the southern shore of the Bakhtegan lake and produces much grain, cotton, good tobacco and excellent fruit, particularly pomegranates and grapes, walnuts and figs. The town is situated in the midst of a plain 12 m. from the eastern corner of the lake and about 100 m. S.E. of Shiraz, and has a population of about 10,000. It occupies the site of the ancient city of Ij, the capital of the old province of Shabankareh, which was captured and partly destroyed by Mubariz ed-din, thefounder of the Muzaffarid dynasty, in 1355. When rebuilt it became known by its present name. Of the old period a ruined mosque and two colleges remain; other mosques and colleges are of recent construction. At the entrance of the town stands a noble chinar (oriental plane), measuring 45 ft. in circumference at 2 ft. from the ground.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)