ILMENAU, a town and summer resort of Germany, in the grand-duchy of Saxe- Weimar, at the north foot of the Thuringian Forest, on the river Ilm, 30 m/ by rail south of Erfurt. Pop. (1905) 11,222. The town, which stands picturesquely among wooded hills, is much frequented by visitors in the summer. It was a favourite resort of Goethe, who wrote here his Iphigenie, and often stayed at Gabelbach in the neighbourhood. It has a grand-ducal palace, a Roman Catholic and two Evangelical churches, a sanatorium for nervous disorders, and several educational establishments. Its chief manufactures are glass and porcelain, toys, gloves and chemicals, and the town has tanneries and saw-mills. Formerly a part cf the county of Henneberg, Ilmenau came in 1631 into the possession of electoral Saxony, afterwards passing to Saxe- Weimar.
See R. Springer, Die klassischen Stdtten von Jena und Ilmenau (Berlin, 1869) ; Pasig, Goethe und Ilmenau (2nd ed., Weimar, 1902) ; and Fils, Bad Ilmenau und seine [7mge6wng(Hildburghausen, 1886).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)