HYDE, CHESHIRE, a market town and municipal borough in the Hyde parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 7! m. E. of Manchester, by the Great Central railway. Pop. (1901) 3 2 .?66. It lies in the densely populated district in the north-east of the county, on the river Tame, which here forms the boundary of Cheshire with Lancashire. To the east the outlying hills of the Peak district of Derbyshire rise abruptly. The town has cotton weaving factories, spinning mills, print-works, iron foundries and machine works; also manufactures of hats and margarine. , There are extensive coal mines in the vicinity. Hyde is wholly 1 of modern growth, though it contains a few ancient houses, such as Newton Hall, in the part of the town so called. The old family of Hyde held possession of the manor as early as the reign of John. The borough, incorporated in 1881, is under a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 3081 acres.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)