HERNOSAND, a seaport of Sweden, chief town of the district (liin) of Vesternorrland on the Gulf of Bothnia. Pop. (1900) 7890. It stands on the island of Herno (which is connected with the mainland by bridges) near the mouth of the Angerman river, 423 m. N. of Stockholm by rail. It is the seat of a bishop and possesses a fine cathedral. There are engine-works, timberyards and saw-mills. The harbour is good, but generally icebound from December to May. Timber, iron and wood-pulp are exported. There are a school of navigation and an institute for pisciculture. Hernosand was founded in 1584, and received its first town-privileges from John III. in 1587. It was the first town in Europe to be lighted by electricity (1885). The poet' Franzen (q.v.), Bishop of Hernosand, is buried here.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)