HANOVER, PENNSYLVANIA, a borough of York county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 36 m. S. by W. of Harrisburg, and 6 m. from the S. border of the state. Pop. (1890) 3746; (1900) 5302, (133 foreign-born); (1910) 7057. It is served by the Northern Central and the Western Maryland railways. The boiough is built on nearly level ground in the fertile valley of the Conewago, at the point of intersection of the turnpike roads leading to Baltimore, Carlisle, York and Frederick, from which places the principal streets sections of these roads are named. Among its manufactures are foundry and machine-shop products, flour, silk, waggons, shoes, gloves, furniture, wire cloth and cigars. The settlement of the place was begun mostly by Germans during the middle of the 18th century. Hanover was laid out in 1763 or 1764 by Col. Richard MacAllister; and in 1815 it was incorporated. On the 30th of June 1863 there was a cavalry engagement in and near Hanover between the forces of Generals H. J. Kilpatrick (Union) and J. E. B. Stuart (Confederate) preliminary to the battle of Gettysburg. This engagement is commemorated by an equestrian statue erected in Hanover by the state.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)