HAINAU (officially HAYNAU), a town" of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, on the Schnelle Deichsa and the railway from Breslau to Dresden, 1 2 m. N. W. of Liegnitz. Pop. 10,500. It has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, manufactories of gloves, patent leather, paper, metal ware and artificial manures, and a considerable trade in cereals. Near Hainau the Prussian cavalry under Blucher inflicted a defeat on the French rearguard on the 26th of May 1813.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)