GUINGAMP, a town of north-western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of C6tes-du-Nord, on the right bank of the Trieux, 20 m. W.N.W. of St Brieuc on the railway to Brest. Pop. (1906), town 6937, commune 9212. Its chief church, Notre-Dame de Bon-Secours, dates from the 14th to the 16th centuries; -two towers rise on each side of the richly sculptured western portal and a third surmounts the crossing. A famous statue of the Virgin, the object of one of the most important " pardons " or religious pilgrimages in Brittany, stands in one of the two northern porches. The central square is decorated by a graceful fountain in the Renaissance style, restored in 1743. Remains of the ramparts and of the chateau of the dukes of Penthievre, which belong to the 15th century, still survive. Guingamp is the seat of a subprefect and of a tribunal of first instance. It is an important market for dairy-cattle, and its industries include flour-milling, tanning and leather-dressing. Guingamp was the chief town of the countship (subsequently the duchy) of Penthievre. The Gothic chapel of Graces, near Guingamp, contains fine sculptures.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)