GUAYAMA, a small city and the capital of a municipal district and department of the same name, on the southern coast of Puerto Rico, 53 m. S. of San Juan. Pop. (1899) of the city. 5334; (1910) 8321; (1899) of the district, 12,749. The district (is6sq. m.) includes Arroyo and Salinas. The city stands about 230 ft. above the sea and has a mild, healthy climate. It is connected with Ponce by railway (1910), and with the port of Arroyo by an excellent road, part of the military road extending to Cayey, and it exports sugar, rum, tobacco, coffee, cattle, fruit and other products of the department, which is very fertile. The city was founded in 1736, but was completely destroyed by fire in 1832. It was rebuilt on a rectangular plan and possesses several buildings of note. Drinking-water is brought in through an aqueduct.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)