GORZ (Ital. Gorizia; Slovene, Gorica), the capital of the Austrian crownland of Gorz and Gradisca, about 390 m. S.W. of Vienna by rail. Pop (1900) 25,432, two-thirds Italians, the remainder mostly Slovenes and Germans. It is picturesquely situated on the left bank of the Isonzo in a fertile valley, 35 m. N.N.W. of Trieste by rail. It is the seat of an archbishop and possesses an interesting cathedral, built in the 14th century and the richly decorated church of St Ignatius, built in the 17th century by the Jesuits. On an eminence, which dominates the town, is situated the old castle, formerly the seat of the counts of Gorz, now partly used as barracks. Owing to the mildness of its climate Gorz has become a favourite winterresort, and has received the name of the Nice of Austria. Its mean annual temperature is 55 F.; while the mean winter temperature is 38-7 F. It is adorned with several pretty gardens with a luxuriant southern vegetation. On a height to the N. of the town is situated the Franciscan convent of Castagnavizza, in whose chapel lie the remains of Charles X. of France(d. 1836), the last Bourbon king, of the duke of Angouleme (d. 1844), his son, and of the duke of Chambord (d. 1883). Seven miles to the north of Gorz is the Monte Santo (2275 ft.), a muchfrequented place on which stands a pilgrimage church. The industries include cotton and silk weaving, sugar refining, brewing, the manufacture of leather and the making of rosoglio. There is also a considerable trade in wooden work, vegetables, early fruit and wine. Gorz is mentioned for the first time at the beginning of the 11th century, and received its charter as a town in 1307. During the middle ages the greater part of its population was German.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)