GIVORS, a manufacturing town of south-eastern France, in the department of Rh&ne, on the railway between Lyons and St Etienne, 14 m. S. of Lyon. Pop. (1906) 11,444. It is situated on the right bank of the Rhone, here crossed by a suspension bridge, at its confluence with the Gier and the canal of Givors, which starts at Grand Croix on the Gier, some 13 m. distant. The chief industries are metal-working, engineering-construction and glass-working. There are coal mines in the vicinity. On the hill overlooking the town are the ruins of the chateau of St Gerald and of the convent of St Ferreol, remains of the old town destroyed in 1594.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)