FUSARO, LAGO, a lake of Campania, Italy, m. W. of Baia, and 1 m. S. of the acropolis of Cumae. It is the ancient Acherusia palus, separated from the sea on the W. by a line of sandhills. It may have been the harbour of Cumae in early antiquity. In the 1st century A.D. an artificial outlet was dug for it at its S. end, with a tunnel, lined with opus reticulatum and brick, under the hill of Torregaveta. This hill is covered with the remains of a large villa, which is almost certainly that of Servilius Vatia, described by Seneca (Epist. 55). There are remains of other villas on the shores of the lake. Oyster cultivation is carried on there.
See J. Beloch, Campanien (2nd ed., Breslau, 1890), 188.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)