CULLINAN, a town of the Transvaal, 36 m. by rail E. by N. of Pretoria. It grew up round the Premier diamond mine and dates from 1903, being named after T. Cullinan, the purchaser of the ground on which the mine is situated. Here was discovered in January 1905 a diamond the largest on record weighing 3025$ carats. This diamond was in 1907 presented by the Transvaal government to Edward VII. and was subsequently cut into two stones, one of 5 165 carats, the other of 309 carats, intended to ornament the sceptre and crown of England. The " chippings" yielded several smaller diamonds (see DIAMOND).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)