Cuevas De Vera
CUEVAS DE VERA, a town of south-eastern Spain, in the province of Almeria; on the right bank of the river Almanzora, 8m. W. of the Mediterranean Sea. Pop. (1900) 20,562. Cuevas de Vera is built at the eastern extremity of the Sierra de los Filabres (6823 ft.), which isolate it from the railway system of Almeria. It is, however, the chief market for the rich agricultural districts towards the south and for the argentiferous lead and other mines among the mountains. In appearance it is modern, with wide streets, two fine squares, and a parish church in Doric style, dating from 1758. But in reality the town is of considerable antiquity. One of the towers in the Moorish palace owned by the marquesses of Villafranca is probably of Roman origin.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)