CLICHY, or Clichy-la-Garenne, a town of northern France, in the department of Seine, on the right bank of the Seine, immediately north of the fortifications of Paris, of which it is a manufacturing suburb. Pop. (1906) 41,516. Its church was built in the 17th century under the direction of St Vincent de Paul, who had previously been curé of Clichy. Its industries include the manufacture of starch, rubber, oil and grease, glass, chemicals, soap, etc. Clichy, under the name of Clippiacum, was a residence of the Merovingian kings.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)