BAMPUR, a town of Persia, in the province of Baluchistan, 330 m. S.E. of Kerman, in 27° 12' N., 60° 24' E., at an elevation of 1720 ft. Pop. about 2000. It is the capital of the province and situated on the banks of the Bampur river which flows from east to west and empties itself about 70 m. W. into a hamun, or depression, 50 m. in length, and called Jaz-morian. The old citadel of Bampur which crowned an elevation about 100 ft. in height, 3 m. north of the river, having completely fallen in ruins, a new fort called Kalah Nasseri, was built at Fahraj, 15 m. further east, in the eighties; and Fahraj, which now has a population of about 2500, has become more important than Bampur. Fahraj, which is also known as Pahura, Paharu, Puhra, is by some identified as the Poura where Alexander the Great halted on his march from India, but others are more in favour of another Fahraj near Bam, or even of Bampur itself.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)