ALLIFAE (mod. Alife), a town of the Samnites, 15 m. N.W. of Telesia, and 17 m. E.N.E. of Teanum. The site of the Samnite city, which in the 4th century B.C. had a coinage of its own, is not known; the Roman town lay in the valley of the Vulturnus, and its walls (4th century) enclose a circuit of 1 1/2 m., in which are preserved remains of large baths ( Thermae Herculis) and a theatre.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)